Job Interview, Part - 1


This post is all about the most memorable job interview of mine. Not that it was my first job interview; nor was it the first I got through/rejected. It’s memorable because of the incidents, situations and behavour of all the characters involved in it.
It was Reliance Money and they were looking for Center Manager Trainees (CMTs) for Sales and Center Service Trainees (CSTs). It was a pulled campus drive and we were around 800 students from all most all the colleges under BPUT and few Government MBA institutes. The package (CTC) they were offering for CMT position was 3.8 Lacks and for CST it was 2.8 Lacks per annum with posting at the native state/nearby. The venue was ITER Campus (now SoA University). We were around 60 students from our institute; out of 120.
I was about to complete my 5th Trimester. I was staying at Acharya Vihar, in a rented house with my younger brother (Kunu), his classmate (Amit), Amit’s schoolmate (Piku) and my friend Kamlesh (MCA). Deepak bhai, the owner of our rented house, is a very friendly and kind hearted person. I am still in touch with all of them.
It was December 8, 2007; the day of campus drive. I left bed much earlier than my normal course; sometime around 6 AM in the morning. Washed face. Shined my shoes. Pressed my White Shirt (gifted by Kunu and Bapa on my birthday). Took out other attire and aligned them on my bed in the sequence I was willing to use that day. I looked at others; they were sleeping. Switched on the desktop and played some song. Went inside the bathroom. I was feeling fresh and energized as I moved out of the bathroom. Changed the song, raised the volume so that in some way I could fool my brain at least and get rid of the stress of the interview. I tried kinda dance; soon I realized, I am fooling myself now. I took my favourite deodorant ‘Nike’ and sprayed it all over my body as much as I could; expecting a long and tardy schedule. I took my shirt up as usual but experienced a divine smell… it smelled like the pious ‘Bibhuti’ of Sri Satya Sai Baba. I was surprised…!!! How it could smell like this…? Is it a good sign…? An indication of success…? Ummmmha… ummmha… my Nokia - Prism rang… Sabya Calling… Answer… Decline… Will be there in 5 minutes; I answered. Sabya, my MBA mate, a dear friend was waiting for me at Jaydev Vihar. Both of us went to the venue. May be for the first time in my entire life; I was there before time for something.
Cut to... the venue...
There were only a few girls in the hall. I entered with Sabya. I saw Bishakha, the daughter of our Botany Prof. Nalinakhya Sir in Graduation.
‘Namaskar’ I said… with a small bow and holding my palms together. All of them laughed out loud… mocking me... I felt. As most of us, being MBAs often greet saying ‘hello’ ‘hi’ ‘good morning’ etc. I preferred Namaskar always. I ignored them, tried to have a conversation with Bishakha and grabbed the front seat. I always have a bias for the front row.
I deliberately didn't mention about the frequent phone calls from my other friends who were also willing to participate. Till I wake up I have almost answered 30 odd calls. As the CR and the coordinator of the placement committee of our institute; more over being a responsible friend I was happily answering all their queries. Also received several SMS with good wishes. 
Cut to… the selection procedure…
There were three representatives from Reliance Money. Sambit Kumar Ghosh and Vibha Agarwal, Manager, Human Resources, Reliance Money, Mumbai. Something... hmmm... someone... may be Priyanka something... something... HR Manager, Odisha or something… I cannot recall exactly. Sambit told us about the company, profile offered, benefits, showed us few motivating videos… Life at R Money etc. Then Vibha told us about the selection procedure… first Group Discussion (GD) 10 to 15 students in one group randomly chosen; time 5 to 10 minutes. Then Psychometric Test and finally Personal Interview.
Arbitrary groups were chosen. Venue informed. The stage was set. We left the hall and moved for our GD venue. There were three rooms; for the three observers Sambit, Vibha and Priyanka. Mine was Sambit. He was a short heighted yet sharp and very very aggressive. I waited outside the hall till my turn. My Nokia Prism vibrated… Sir Sanjib Bhagat Calling…
Sai Ram Sir… (this is how we were advised to greet our faculties and everyone associated with BIMIT; my MBA institute)
Ansuman where are you… can you come to the cafeteria?
Certainly sir… I am coming.
Sai Ram Sir…
Hey, Ansuman what are you doing? You look nervous… your body looks stiff… are you all right?
I am perfect sir…
Hmmmm perfect… then why the hell you are not cracking the campus? You were eliminated in the last round of Reliance General Insurance… are you going to make it this time?… I swear, if you are not cracking this time; I will not let you enter in to the institute… I am goanna break your limbs… better you watch out… are you listening.
Yes sir, will not let you down sir… will be through definitely.
Good luck chap… I will be here till end. Go…
Thank you sir…
It was not certainly a threatening nor anything negative. I was touched with care and affection of Sanjiv Sir. May be his style was a bit different but it was for my benefit. I know he loves me. I can not let him down this time at least. 
Back to the waiting zone. Students were keen to know about the GD topics… they just gather around every one from the successive group as they come out after their GD. I was least interested in all these. I was in my own world.

My turn came. All 15 of us moved towards the hall. I was about to enter… a wired idea struck… record the entire GD… I stayed back and switched on the recording option in my phone. Put the phone on the chest pocket of my blazer and moved inside the room...


Comments

Anushree said…
Hi, I appreciate you writing this informative and engaging blog post on debt collection agency Mumbai. You have my sincere gratitude for this article. Keep going!

Popular Posts