Challenge

And the boy said to himself, ‘so be it’.
× × × × × × × × × × × × × × × × × × × × ×
The boy was known for his ready wit, determination, self confidence and clarity of thought. This is what he believed. But, each of his known had different positioning about the boy. It’s not that the boy was unaware of theses. However, he preferred to be unaffected from other's opinion, perception and understanding about him.
It was a rainy night, half past two, the boy started reading ‘The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari’ (TMWSHF) by Robin Sharma. They had a power cut in their locality. The overhead water tank was dry. There was not a drop of water to drink. The boy was lone in his hostel room.
The boy started reading from the first word on the cover page and kept reading each word carefully. In his subliminal mind he was thinking about the girl and about his teacher from his spoken English group. Once while discussing the girl mentioned about the novel TMWSHF to the teacher in presence of the boy. Soon both the ladies were into deep discussion about their learning from the book, how the book has positively influenced their lives and why others should read the book. The boy was a book lover. He was also aware about the award winning novel. He was quietly listening to the discussion and thinking that the girl can speak English fluently. Her use of words was impeccable and impressive. But, why has she joined this spoken English class? The boy has a great sense of respect for both the ladies out there. That particular discussion had left a humongous impact on the boy. Since that very moment he has developed a feavourable attitude about the book. Even after years, he could listed to the conversation crystal clear in a subliminal state of mind.
Chapter one… The Wake-up Call.
As the boy kept on reading, the book kept on surprising him. It became far more interesting and realistic, when the boy could relate himself with the central character (Julian) of the novel. Within the next few pages, the boy had completely replace the central character with himself. He kept reading as if he is reading about himself from Mr. Robin S. Sharma, the award winning author of the novel.
The boy was amazed to know that Julian could transform himself to be a happy, youthful and satisfied. Previously Julian was successful, popular but drunk, chain smoker and workaholic. Julian’s transformation gave the boy a sense of positivity and hope. Now the boy was expecting some transformation in his life.
Chapter three… The Miraculous Transformation of Julian Mantle.
Now the boy knew, ‘how exactly’. Julian could transform himself with his sere willingness and determination to improve. Julian had taken all the pain to be a gratified saint from being a dejected billionaire.
The boy could not breathe till he finished chapter seven exactly 81 pages including the cover page. Now, he had a mixed feeling. He was inspired and filled with positive thoughts. However, he could feel the pain in his lower abdomen due to excess deposition of fluid. He thought to unload the pain in the toilet.
As a habit, he popped the packet and pinned a cigarette to his mouth. The pain became acute as he could not locate the German made lighter gifted by his friend. Now he realized that his room is a real mess, nothing was in proper place. Looking vigorously he found the lighter inside ‘The Alchemist’ by Paulo Coelho. He had read this novel. It was very much inspiring for him. As he removed the lighter from the novel; he could listen his favourite line from the novel, “follow the omens”. It was his favourite line because he also believed that he also receives omens.
“FOLLOW THE OMENS”
What is the omen here for me?
“FOLLOW THE OMENS”
Yes, I will follow them but let me know them first.
“FOLLOW THE OMENS”
He kept moving towards the toilet thinking about the omen here, without lighting the cigarette.
“YOU MUST QUIT SMOKING”
“YOU MUST QUIT SMOKING”
This track echoed in thousand different voices. These voices were of his friends, family members and relatives, who at some point asked / requested / begged to him for not smoking. He always escaped by saying, ‘I am not a professional smoker, I smoke just to relax and ease out the pressure of studies / work, I can quit at any point of time’. He could now also recall his heated argument with his girlfriend over his smoking habit. ‘Do you think cigarette is killing me; nah… na…I am using it as a medicine, I am not at all addicted to it; I smoke when I feel and will quit when I feel like… I don’t want any further discussion about it, if you love me then you must accept me as I am, with my wells and ills. If your love is strong enough then I automatically will quit it’.
The boy was also known for his street smart intelligence and the ability to paralyze one’s intelligence with such tactical philosophical gags. His girlfriend fell for this logic and loved him more and more with the hope for a change. The boy took the silence for granted and continued.
This thought brought a notorious smile. He was about to light the cigarette. He slipped on the wet floor. The lighter fell inside the commode.
FOLLOW THE OMENS
QUIT SMOKING
FOLLOW THE OMENS
QUIT SMOKING
Blood rushed to his brain. His heart was pounding as the phrases were echoing out of his soul.
Is this the omen?
No, it can’t be.
He was trying to dilute his consciences in desperation and confusion until his heart and soul shouted together, “MASTER YOUR MIND”.
Oh my goodness. This is the phrase from ‘the monk who sold his ferrari’.
Again his thought carried him to an elocution topic, “win over your mind to win over the world”. In this contest he was adjudged first in the entire state.
I CONTROL MY MIND… how can it control me?
I decide, choose and select.
I am the master of my mind, soul and body.
IT’S MY SLAVE.
My mind is begging me to light the cigarette. I MUST NOT DO IT…
If it’s my slave… I MUST NOT…
If I am in full control over it... I MUST NOT…
If I am the master… I MUST…
This was the moment of enlightenment and self-actualization. Things were crystal clear. As if he was visualizing the electrons and protons of his genes in ultra-high definition. This was also something very new. He had never experienced any such thing before. One part of him was eager to smoke; one part of him was resisting. Whereas the other parts were laughing (as if mocking) over his dilemma and helplessness.
He knew what has to be done.
IF SOMEONE SAYS SOMETHING AGAINST YOU TO OTHERS… DON’T GET ANGRY… DON’T GET INTO A BRAWL WITH THAT PERSON… BUT, CONDUCT YOURSELF IN SUCH A MANNER THAT NO ONE WILL EVER BELIEVE THOSE CLAMS.
Again a doctrine, in which he always laid his faith.
“I QUIT SMOKING FOR A WEEK” announced proudly the boy to himself.
× × × × × × × × × × × × × × × × × × × × ×
The battle inside kept him awake for the entire night. But, he was assured that he has taken the most appropriate decision. He was arrogant enough to follow his favoured thought to conquer over the less favoured.
He woke up in the morning and out of habit, was about to pick the cigarette packet when the ethical and consensual alarm triggered together. He put it down.
Several times in the day and many a times in the following nights he carved for cigarette till he was awake. While sleeping he dreamt of the inside battle continuing from the previous night.
He kept himself engaged so that he could divert his attention. He started sleeping early. He began to follow his healthy habits of leaving bed early, exercising, reading and writing etc. He minimized his presence on the social networking sites. He stopped spending meaningless hours on the Internet. He organized his room and study table etc. He dropped his dirty clothes at the laundry. He cleaned his book shelf and arranged his beloved books systematically.
However, he placed the pack of cigarette on the chair along with a new match box; with the determination not to touch it until a week.
× × × × × × × × × × × × × × × × × × × × ×
And the day approached. It was a complete week without smoke. It’s the time to declare himself “THE MASTER”. It was an invincible victory over self. Now, he has the empirical evidence to claim himself as “The Supreme Commander”. It’s the time for massive celebration.
He was thinking looking at the untouched pack for the last week.
“Bring it on baby… the period of forestage is over. You are free to do anything and everything. You have proved yet again that you are truly invincible and numero-uno.”
“Unpack me. Put me between your lips. I am ready to burn for you. You have every right to lit me. I am your slave. You are my master… commander. You have purchased me. I cursed myself as you have decided not to touch me for an entire week. Common Maestro… celebrate your victory with me. Take me out, put me in and light me up. I beg you. I cannot wait anymore. His excellency USE ME NOW.”
“Don’t get into the trap buddy. Don’t get fooled again. After these seven days, have not you transformed yourself into someone really better in all aspects? The why go back?”
“You don’t know anything. Shut the fuck up. Common my majesty, unpack me. Allow me to serve you.”
CONTROL YOUR MIND.
WIN OVER YOUR MIND TO WIN OVER THE WORLD.
“Quite… quite every one. Let his excellency decide.”
“Yes, maestro, we are eager to listen your decision”
“Common dear… express yourself…”
“I AM GOING TO MAINTAIN THE STATUS QUA FOR FIFTEEN DAYS MORE... so be it.”
× × × × × × × × × × × × × × × × × × × × ×
NOTE:
This is the beginning. Beginning of a journey called life. All of us have some bad habits. Most of us have tried to get rid of it. Whether it is smoking, consuming alcohol, uttering vulgar slang, not focusing on career, lying, sleeping late etc. etc. etc. There are countless bad habits but there are even more excuses. TRY THIS 7 DAYS CHALLENGE.
Prove yourself that you are the master and you are still in control. Follow your vow religiously / seriously. The experience you will gain in these seven days will definitely change / transform your life. I guarantee it.

Thanx and Regards,
AJ

Comments

Unknown said…
The read was wonderful.. Well is it a fiction or a biography ..? :)
Expecting a sincere answer.. Though it doesn't matter much to take my challenge..
Any way I took the Challenge to wake up early..
Ansuman Jena said…
Dear Jhuna,

I personally thank you for reading and commenting.
I knew this question will come eventually.

Anyways, its good that you have asked.

It is a "REAL FICTION".
In simple words I define it as, "a fiction inspired from real life".
The proportion here is 60:40.

Do share your experience of the seven days challenge; you have taken.
Would love to learn from your experience.

Good Luck and God Bless

AJ
Unknown said…
humorous yet provoking. great effort AJ!

its quite challenging to figure out what the omens are pointing at and which paths to follow. i never had a lighter-down-the-toilet moment but once while bathing the soap bar slipped out of my hands and slithered into the indian-style pan...still wracking my brains as to unravel what the bloody omen was ;)
Ansuman Jena said…
Ratnakar Sir,

I am really thankful that from the e-mail you cared to click on the link to browse the blog, more importantly... read a post and most importantly... left a comment.

On a lighter note, I would like to tell you that, 'sometimes it is better to let go things... without bothering... without questioning... ESPECIALLY IN THE TOILET'.

Ha Ha Ha

Take Care
ENJOY

Popular Posts