Movie Review - Rockstar

I am not an expert movie reviewer or critic; not even qualified enough to do so. I write and share what I feel...
I absolutely have no knowledge about the cinematography and other technicalities asoociated with the film. What I look for in a movie is the story, how the story is told and the smoothness at which the actors portray the characters. Finally the connection and the impression it caries when I move out of the theater.

THE PLOT

The movie is all about Janardhan Jhakar (Ranbir Kapoor), his pursue for love (Heer - Nargis Fakhir) and his aspirations (to be a Rockstar like Jim Morrison and sing for Platinum Music Co.). He is an easy-go-happy type guy unless advised to experience pain/heart break to bring out the best out of him. He tries to indulge with Heer; so that as she breaks his heart and Janardhan could create great melody by experiencing the jolt of the breakup. 

I find Janardhan to be introvert in some way as he prefers to live in his own world without caring for the World; unless he becomes Jordan: The Rock Star. In the movie, Imtiaz Ali (writer & director) has successfully nullified the Stardom Jordan enjoys restricting it to a few scenes where people shout and crave for him. Janardhan was never interested in the stardom rather he was looking to spend some quality time with his lady love.
Let us do not disclose the plot any further.

MY TAKE

Unlike regular Hindi movies (with similar plot) where the hero enjoys absolute stardom, discontinues his love because of the stardom in the due course and finally reunites. Rockstar is a completely different story. In this movie Jordan strives for his love forgetting anything else. Its basically a modern day love story where separation brings immense pain and suffering to the couple.

Imtiaz Ali has given a very difficult angle to the way we look at love stories. If we take any great movie... to name a few AVATAAR, TITANIC, DDL; they are basically love stories narrated from a different angle/manner. These have zero similarity with this movies but I find a bit of resemblance with DEVDAS and DEV D to the story.

My Marketing Management professor (Surya Sir) says and I quote, "every teacher has one answer in his/her mind before he/she asks a question to students. The teacher keeps asking every student the same question unless one of the students utter that particular answer statement." He further gives this example: Suppose the answer in the teacher's mind is COW; he/she asks the question to the students 'Which creature eats grass?' so that the students could answer its the Cow. But, the students reply... goat, deer, bull, horse, ox, donkey etc. The reason I have quoted Surya Sir here is just to inculcate the fact that every one has a different angle/perspective/perception to look at things. And the movie Rockstar has a completely different angle the way we look at love stories.

Some people like the movie and some people like it less or do not like at all. I respect them all and do not dare to argue; its their perspective.

STORY : Unconventional.

NARRATION: Complex.


MUSIC: Touchy.


ACTING: 
                  Ranbir Kapoor: Impressive.
                  Nargis Fakhir: Below Average.
{Her lips resemble a low cost (economy class) version of the lips of Angelina Jolie; which is the only thing I remember about her after the movie}
                 Shammi Kapoor: Eye Candy.
                 Kumud Mishra (Advisor/Manager of Ranbir): Excellent.
                 Piyush Mishra (Proprietor of Platinum Music Co.): Interesting and Funny.

FINAL WORDS

I liked the movie. But I wish to watch it again as I missed the first 5-10 minutes. The show was scheduled at 9.15 PM. I reached the Hall at about 9.10 PM but I discovered that they have already started showing it. I can not afford to loose the beginning of any thing; I hate when I miss even if a second. 

You go to watch the movie, if and only if, you are at least prepared mentally to witness an unconventional and complexly narrated movie. I am going for the second time as I missed the beginning; soothing company invited. DO SHARE YOUR FEELING ABOUT THE MOVIE "Rockstar". COMMENT !!!

Comments

Popular Posts