The reason why I consider myself Blessed; thus more Responsible

Lord Ganesha and Sirdi Sai Baba

Cotton Shirt from Goa


Before I have joined the PhD Programme at School of Management, KIIT University, Bhubaneswar; I have heard so many terrifying (yet funny) things about PhD, the PhD supervisor (guide), the research process, the time duration and what(not) it takes to complete PhD etc etc etc. I have also heard my friends (pursuing and trying to pursue PhD) of both category narrating their miserable (some how slave type), option less life; though they are associated with professors of reputed institutions in their research pursuit. I was also told that PhD Scholars have to bring vegetables, milk and grocery at their own expense for the guide and family.  And also take the guide's kids to school, give them tuition (free); take the wife of the supervisor for shopping etc. After all these the guide does not give a damn to the scholar or his/her research. Female Scholars are exploited sexually. Mental exploitation is synonym of PhD irrespective of gender; this is what I was told.
Among all these stories filled with agony, misery and exploitation; once I came across a really fascinating narration by one of my close friend's aunty. The bottom line of the story was "even the PhD supervisors (guide) compel the Research Scholar to merry their daughter (arrogant, fat, ugly and shopaholic)". She narrated the entire real life incident of her so dramatically and nicely that I could sense her concern for me.

I know so far, you have not understood the link between the heading of the post, these two images and the above two paragraphs. I bet... 
Let me bunch these up.

My PhD Supervisor Dr. Biswajit Das is rare and numero uno. The above images are the gifts (I consider them to be token of love) he has given me (it does not include the intangibles like intellectual inputs, emotional support, knowledge and blessings). Our relationship is a bit unconventional if compared to  the narration in the first two stanza. For instance this morning at around 9 AM he called me up; the conversation is given below:

Sir: Good Morning Ansuman. Have you left bed?
Me: Good Morning Sir, I am about to...
Sir: I knew... am I disturbing you... Ansuman?
Me: No sir, absolutely not...
Sir: I know you wake up late as you mostly sleep very late at night... oh not night... morning/dawn actually... ha ha ha (laughs)
Me: gggggrrrrrrrrhhhmmmmm...
{I made a sound like a cell phone on vibration mode, placed on a table}
Sir: Ok ! Ansuman you sleep; we will talk some other time.
Me: No sir... I will be there with in 30 minutes max...
Sir: areeeeh... no... no... take rest...
Me: I am coming sir... will be there...
I disconnected the call as I rushed to the bathroom from my bed.

And when I reached his cabin, he gave me the cotton shirt which he has purchased from Goa. He was there at Goa to attend an International Case Conference and present one of our business case entitled "Can TARAhaat connect rural India?". In fact my first case as an Author.

After giving me the cotton shirt; we discussed about the case conference, my research progress, the journal IJBMT (www.ijbmt.com) etc. During our discussion some thing came about the Grand Parents. He talked about his grandparents and asked me about mine. I was telling him about my grandparents. But all at a sudden he started crying like a child. Soon he burst into tears. I was completely dumbfounded. I did not know what to do or to say?... but managed my tears.

It was really the most emotional day at KSOM.
This is just one incident with my dear teacher. There are so many people (closely involved) in my life. So, many incidents, experiences, memories... I wish to publish them as a book some day before I die.

So many good souls (people) with pious intention are in my life.

NOW YOU KNOW ! ! !
"WHY I CONSIDER MYSELF TO BE BLESSED; THUS MORE RESPONSIBLE".

Comments

Popular Posts