Half Full or Half Empty


We all know about the story of the Half full or Half empty glass. The story is symbolic and much discussed because it draws a line between the Optimists and the Pessimists.
But here I present you a different perspective.
Case One: Imagine a tyre manufacturer, if being optimistic it fails to consider the poor road conditions and designed the tyres only for the best/suitable/ideal road conditions… what will be the quality of the tyre. It is evident that there is every possibility that the tyre is not going through the ideal road conditions every time. Thus thinking about the negative aspect is not always bad.
Case Two: Think about the pharmaceutical companies. They manufacture drugs/medicines for diseases ranging from the normal cough, cold to cancer, AIDS etc. If they be absolute optimist and think that there will be no disease and stop innovating or stop doing Research and Development; then what?
Case Three: If being utmost optimist we fail to plan for our low time; then what? We should have plans for our financial crisis. We must have backup plans for any kind of downturn. Whether it’s a heart break or earthquake; we must have contingency plans for every possible crisis. That is the reason we do Insurance Policies.
You may consider my points illogical/amateur but these are just my feelings.
These are just a few example but there are many. Let’s think about our personal life.
Only being optimistic does not help unless we work accordingly. I really don’t mind if someone considers the glass half filled or half empty. It’s all about what you do with the half filled or half empty glass. It hardly matters if the glass is half filled or half empty; if I see there is a need to fill it up or to make it completely empty. If there is a need to fill it up; then I must do that. If there is a need to make it empty completely; then I must work accordingly. It’s all about our action. I believe life is not what we think of it. Rather it’s all about what we do in/with our life. If we see an opportunity or a need to act; that’s it. If we know what to do with the glass then it hardly matters its half filled or half empty.
But yes, if we only focus on thinking, not acting, then there is a problem. We always think the politicians are doing nothing, the Govt. agencies and officials are not doing the things they are supposed to do, there is corruption, there is injustice, there is suffering, there is misery… but things don’t get better with our thinking. But we can make a difference; we can be the change agent if and only if we act.

I don’t mind if the glass is half filled or half empty. If I can quench my thirst with the half glass of water then its fine. If I have to offer the glass to a guest; then I must fill it or replace it with a better content as desired.
I don’t mind if the glass is half filled or half empty. If I have to extinguish fire, I need more water. Find it and get the fire extinguished.
I don’t mind if the glass is half filled or half empty. If I need to quench the thirst of the billions of people who do not get pure drinking water; then I must have a plan. I must go for preserving water other than wasting it. I should have a plan to conserve excess water and channelize it properly. I must have an Action Plan; which I believe is most important.
I don’t mind if the glass is half filled or half empty; when I compare my life with this glass. I have a few things but I need more. Not being greedy. Not being optimist/pessimist; I work and desire to bridge the gap.

I don’t mind whether you see the glass half filled or half empty.
This is my angle to look at life and I don’t mind if the glass is half filled or half empty. But my concern is what we do with it.

Comments

Popular Posts