Job Interview, Part - 4

Continued from my previous posts,
and

Sambit said, “We are done with the second round. The psychometric test is not for selection or rejection rather it’s more about knowing and discovering you; the candidates. Here we are looking for clarity of thought, vision, outlook and essentially the candidate’s inner self. As I have said this is not the process where we are going to eliminate any of you unless your answers are cataclysmic; be assured, stay focused and prepare for the Interview. Detail information will be provided you within one hour. See you guys. Good Luck.”
I was a bit relaxed after this short and informative speech of Sambit. I was thinking about what am I going to do within these 60 minutes. Again a weird thought struck. Write the possible interview questions along with detailed answers. Most of my friends went out to have a little refreshment. Asked me. I denied saying No with a smile. Then the girl (I do not know her name till now and any other details which college, where from etc.) asked me to move to the cafeteria to have a coffee. I politely turned down her request.
Now it’s me… the only human being present in the auditorium. Never enjoyed loneliness so much. I took out my notebook made of dista paper and Sachin’s newspaper as its cover. May be no MBA student in the universe uses anything like this. But I liked it. It was thin, light, easy to carry and cheap for me. It’s not that I did not use costly notebooks but it was close to me because if reminds me of my childhood. Even today, I have a couple of notebooks made of dista papers and note pads made of one side printed/paper not usually meant for writing. I do not like wasting paper; I don’t know why!
I took it out and started writing. Used red ink for the questions and blue for the answers. I augmented that it’s going to be a panel interview with all three Naukri Lords.
How am I going to enter into the room?
Knock… may I come in… open the door… noise free push… smile… enter… noise free shut… Greet… Hello or Good Evening… what should I say? Greet the lady/ladies first then the male interviewer… ladies first you know...move near the seat intended for the interviewee… but don't seat unless they ask... they will greet and then they will ask me to seat… again noise free seating. Then any of them could ask to tell me about myself… I must start answering looking at the person who asked me and gradually start and maintain eye contact with all three of them...
I wrote about a paragraph as the response about me. Then what? What could be the second question?
Why MBA after B.Sc. Zoology? Strength – Weakness? Why failed in +2? Where do you see yourself five years down the line? Why Reliance Money? What can you do for us? Why should we select you? Give five strong reasons. Bla Bla Bla.
Many such questions came to my mind. I wrote then all with my answer/response irrespective of the order they are going to ask. It spread across 3-4 pages. Finally I took my head out of the notebook. Few of the students were back into the room. I felt the need of having some chocolates and ice-cream. Wrapped up things… moved out. As I moved out, saw every one returning including the Naukri Lords. Dropped all the idea to have some chocolate and ice cream. Went back.
Hey, the front seats are yet to be occupied… Go… grasp one. Before I could finish thinking… I found myself seating on one, straight in front of the Naukri Lord’s seat. My friends came back and occupied seats alongside. I looked at the entry door. That girl appeared. I had a chance to scan her top to bottom and directed all my radars/scanners in that direction. She was around 5’5”, fair, in creamy blazer and black trousers, tie colour… it went unnoticed as my biased eyes went in some other direction… busty I noticed.
She came to me and handed me a bottle of ‘Amul Kool’. This is for you, she said.
Thanx… इसकी  क्या  ज़रुरत  थी?...
You just take it… they are coming.
I looked at the bottle. Then her hand… Red and Glittering Nail Polish… who uses these on the day of interview?
She forcefully tried to hand it over to me. Drink it quickly… they are coming.
Thanx for this…
Ok… दोस्ती मैं no thanx... no sorry. Ha ha ha…
Ha ha ha ha… most of my classmates were busy enough to notice all these except a few… but apparently they have ignored all these. I guess. She went to the back seat. I opened the cap and started drinking.
Don’t get any ideas… the taste was as usual, normal and good. Nothing extra ordinary. This is not a Yash Raj or Karan Johar movie; I am not the hero (but I don’t mind if you consider me the same). Don’t feel romantic/horny. It’s not a love story. It’s all about my interview and it was just a friendly interaction. आप लोग भी ना… क्या क्या सोच लेते हो मन ही मन मैं.
The Naukri Lords were back. Sambit started…
“We have planned for two day selection process here. But there is some urgency. We have to wrap up by tonight and catch the flight tomorrow morning anyhow. To fasten the process we have to drop the idea of having a panel interview. Instead, we will have three different arrangements for all three of us. Divide you randomly among three of us for separate interview locations as we have done for the group discussions. Are you ready guys… do you unanimously agree… say yes or no”.
Only two – three said yes.
Sambit looked unimpressed. Do you agree? Say yes or no… say it aloud…
Yes… most of us soughed.
No… not enough… क्या ओडिशा मैं इतना ही दम है? Common be louder... say yes or no... Do you agree?
YES… all of us soughed loud enough to take the ceiling down.
Then they divided us randomly. I was in Vibha’s pool. Rank 23. Rooms informed. Moved out.
Hey, mine is Priyanka madam. Who is yours? Again that girl.
Vibha. Good Luck I said looking into her eyes.
You too.
I hate ‘you too’; the statement. Can’t you utter the full sentence? Why shorten good things/emotions/wishes? I used to scold all my girls (friends); when they respond like this to that particular sentence of mine. You know the sentence… of course u know and used it several times on different occasions for different purpose… I know.
In the administrative building, Priyanka occupied a room in the ground floor, Sambit and Vibha on the first floor.
Thank God! She is not here.
It’s around 5.30 PM or 6.00 when the first candidate entered. We all were gathered in the first floor lobby. Most of the participants including my college mates were busy in discussion. I was not in a mood to talk with anyone.  I was literally tensed. Felt lonely in the crowd and moved to the canteen. It was around 100 meters. I entered inside and saw most of the faculty members/placement coordinators were present there. From my college Sanjib Sir, Sachhi Sir and Prakash Sir were there. I just grabbed two Five Star chocolates and rushed out. If I recall properly till my turn comes I had about 4 Amul Kools, 10 Five Star chocolates; mostly because of boredom and nervousness, not because of hunger, I guess.
We were still waiting outside. People were moving in and coming out. Each time someone comes out we gather, surround and ask what happened inside?
Its Smita’s turn. Smita my MBA mate. She went inside Sambit’s room. I was thinking what to do. I remembered that I have written some questions and answers in my notebook. Read and revise those. I took out my note book and started reading.
Smita came out. She said, “the first question Sambit asked me  whether I know Bengali or not. I have to agree as I have mentioned in my CV. Then the medium of interview was in Bengali. Not a single word from Hindi or English. Each time I use words from other than Bengali, he reminded me Bengali… Bengali”.
Sambit was a hard task master indeed. Each time someone comes out of his room tells a different and astonishing story, which scares us all. It was me and Sunita in Vibha’s pool. Mine was 23 and Sunita’s number was 27 or 29. We were still waiting. Saraju came after finishing his interview with Sambit. He was literally shivering and a kind of shocked. He could not speak properly and was unable to explain what happened inside. Both Smita and Saraju have already got offer letters from other companies. I was still waiting.
All at a sudden Sambit moved out of his room and came to the lobby. Kind of scanned all of us and went back. I was still waiting and reading the question answers from my notebook. Most of my friends came to me and said, “Ansuman, what are you doing? You are looking really tensed. Is everything fine? Why don’t you come and chat with us? Why are you seating alone?”
I tried to hide my notebook. But Smita took it from my lap.
Are you mugging up all these?
No… no…no, I am not.
Then…
I am just trying to focus and concentrate. I do not want to miss this opportunity. Almost 25 thousand home take plus perks and incentives, posting in Odisha and a Center Manager designation, what else could be better than this?
Are we disturbing you?
I was silent. They moved away.
{Cut to my turn}
Sunita came to me and said, “21 just moved in… it’s your turn. Good Luck”.
Thanx. I moved to the entrance of Vibha’s room. Within 10 to 15 minutes both 21 and 22 came out. All my friends were there and conveyed their good wishes. I was thinking why the interview of 21 and 22 was so short? Anything wrong?
As I was moving inside the room; I remembered, “Damn, I forgot to switch on the recording.”
Can’t do anything now I am almost in.
May I come in...
Yes, please.
I pushed the door. Vibha was reading something, may be my CV, I thought…

Comments

Dibyagyan said…
ଆରେ, ଜଲଦୀ ଜଲଦୀ ଲେଖ ଏତେ ଡେରି କାହିଁକି |

Popular Posts