Comparison - I – Similarity

Like the Turnitin software, I look for similarity… only similarity… nothing else. Similarity with anybody and anything. Similarity of any kind. Similarity of any magnitude and of any genre. Turnitin is a software that detects plagiarism based on the similarity in content of one manuscript with others. It includes online sources, books, periodicals, journals magazines etc. I find this software very interesting and useful. To know more about Turnitin, you can browse its website www.turnitin.com.

While looking for similarity, I discover a part of me is either similar or identical to a part of someone or something else. That means we have a common part. A part of him/her/it resides in me and vis-à-vis. It makes me happy. It feels great. It satisfies me in a unique way. It helps me to relate with him/her/it. It builds a sense of connect. A bond. A relationship. A link. A feel… I do not know how to describe it exactly. I don’t think I have the right word to express it. However, all I know is that ‘it drives my life’. At my first meet / interaction, I look for similarity. Whether it’s a human, creature, living, non-living, brand, product or service; I don’t mind to find at least one similarity. I see similarity everywhere.

Since our childhood, we are being told to compare. We have grown up ‘spotting the difference’ between two images. We have been answering questions like ‘compare X with Y’ and how do we compare? We actually write the difference between X and Y. We hardly mention any kind of similarity there. The dictionary meaning of the word compare is ‘Examine and note the similarities or differences’. We focus only on the differences instead. Can you recall or relate whether I am right or wrong?

We have been told ‘this is good and that is bad’, ‘this is your/our and that is their’. Almost every time we are busy in comparing things, situations and individuals. These days we are comparing ‘Indian economy with China or with the developed economies’, ‘our mobile handset with others’, ‘our status with others’, ‘someone’s achievements with someone else’. We are comparing ‘our belongings with others’, ‘our religion with the next person’, ‘what I do and what others do’. We are compare values, quality, achievements, skin tone, clothes, accessories, style and what not. However, among all these comparisons, we are actually ignoring similarities. We never say, what we have in common. We only think about what others have and what we don’t have while comparing.

Imagine a situation when you are lost, need desperate help but there is non for the rescue. All at a sudden, you see someone coming to help. Does any one of us crosscheck what is the religion of that individual? What’s the skin colour? Which are the brands (s)he is using? The same happens when we extend our helping hand to the needy. But, why do we spontaneously and voluntarily rush to help someone? Mostly for the sake of humanity. Yes, humanity. It’s a feel, a sense of belongingness, a bond, a relationship… a connection between both. This is the kind of comparison I am talking about. This is the benefit of comparing to find similarity.

Legends say, ‘do not compare yourself with others’. Some say, ‘don’t compare yourself with others because you never know where the shoe pinches’. Many of us say, ‘I never compare myself with others because I do not believe in comparisons’. Some proud Rowdys say, ‘I don’t believe in comparisons because no one is worth it’. There are many versions and numerous interpretations.

However, I say… COMPARE TO FIND SIMILARITY FIRST. If no one can cheat death… then no one can skip comparison either.

If there is a Satyajit Ray angle… a Ram Gopal Verma angle… then this is my angle… the AJ angle… to look at life. As simple as it is.

Isn’t it?

You still disbelieve that I only look for similarity!!!

Are you still ambiguous about how can I compare myself with non-livings?

Do you think it’s all Bol-Bachhan, what I do here… on my blog?

Then, my honest answer to you is, please go back to the beginning of this post. I have started this post comparing myself with a software. A software!!! Yes, a software. Go check it out.

Now, START COMPARING TO FIND SIMILARITY.
It enhances your creativity and paints your imagination in many colours.

Comments

Popular Posts