Job Interview, Part - 2


Continued from the previous post entitled, "Job Interview, Part - 1" (http://ansumanjena.blogspot.com/2011/11/job-interview-part-1.html)
All eyes on me, as I was the last person to enter. Someone closed the door from outside. It was a semi circle arrangement and Sambit was seating right at the center. Where do I seat? There was only one seat vacant just behind Sambit. I hate seating at the back. I was left with no option. I loaded my backside on there. Then Sambit started…
"Hello every one ! You will be given 10 minutes to discuss on a topic. I want a decent and professional discussion out here. The performance of the previous group was disgusting. I had to interfere every now and then. I will only pick up those who talk sense. Behave properly. Good Luck. Your Topic of discussion is 'With the increasing popularity of Cricket; should it be granted the status of our National Game' and your time starts now."
Someone started the discussion… I was busy writing the topic on my note pad. Then others joined in. I looked up… oh its Akshay… I met him in the B-School meet of RCM… I can recall. A girl started talking… most of the boys were talking. Someone said Sachin has brought pride of our Nation. Someone else said Kapil Dev won the cricket world cup. Someone else said in hockey we have Dhyanchand and won Hockey World Cup several times. Some said there is match fixing… few said no one is playing hockey… cricket is popular… hockey is less popular; there is big money in cricket, great potential, scope and opportunity.  I was still not satisfied with my back bench/seat status; I was thinking about it and over writing the GD topic again and again.
I am seating right at the back of Sambit. There is no way I am going to be selected, if he does not look at my face. While most of my friends were uncomfortable to make eye contact with the professors, seniors and mostly the interviewers; I always felt comfortable and confident looking into the eye. I cannot talk to anyone without looking into the eyes. It gives me some power. I looked at Sambit, he was listening very carefully and probably writing something on the CV of the participants… may be writing individual comments/feedback… or writing selected/rejected. Whatever, I have to make him look at me or else I am finished… I thought.
Hello friends… (no one really cared or seemed to be impressed; they kept discussing their own, but I did not stop either... raised the pitch of my voice) I appreciate all your views since they are your personal… (50% of them were silent and paid attention to me; rest were still discussing, without listening me.) Hello dear, do you mind listening… just allow me a few seconds to make my points (they stopped and I continued)…
Most of us are in favour of making cricket our national game. Only my friend out there says hockey should continue as our National Game but he does not have a valid reason for the same. Please allow me to pose a few questions here. Can we change our National Bird to ‘Crow’, just because they are more in number than the Peacock? Shall we allow ‘Dog’ be our National Animal as they are more in number? Should we call Shahrukh Khan, the father of our Nation because he is more popular? Are we going to change our surname or throw away our grandparents just they are old fashioned? Are we going to leave our family if there is any financial crisis? The answer is NO… a BIG NO.
It was complete silence. All other participants were looking at me. Now Sambit pulled his chair a side… as he completely turned towards me. First objective accomplished. Now it’s the time to get selected and leave impression… I can’t stop here ! I continued… without gazing towards Sambit as I could recall our trainers instructions “never ever look at the observer in a GD”.
Friends… it’s not always about numbers, money or popularity. At the end it’s all about our country… our culture…custom… ethos, tradition and our commitment to respect and value those. It’s our moral and ethical responsibility to defend our legacy while respecting others. We all are management students if we can think and work to uplift a loss making company in to a profitable one. Then why can’t we make hockey popular. Our success lies in our commitment, passion and dedication. Is it the solution to make cricket our National Game? Who plays Hockey these days? The adiwashis/tribal people of Orissa, Chhattisgarh and few Punjabi. The rural people… the vulnerable and deprived ones. Why can not the Corporate Biggies stand in support of Hockey… why only Hockey? Why not Kabaddi, Kho Kho and all such games? I think there lays a tremendous opportunity for partnering and CSR activities. This will help in Brand Building and Rural Marketing…
Oh, common! Don’t be the old school… someone said… this is the era of Globalization, Privatization and Modernization… we are moving towards a Global Culture. Someone else added there is no harm to dump the outdated rudiments. Then all at a sudden everyone else jumped in to the discussion…
Sambit announced “Time up”.
We all came out. I switched off the recording. Friends from my college and a few from other colleges grabbed us and shot random questions. I said the topic and tried to move away from the crowd. My friends followed me and asked a few more questions. I tried to answer those.
Nobody was sure about when and where the GD results will be announces. That’s why I preferred to wait outside the same hall for Sambit coming out.
It was around 2 PM when finally Sambit came out. He was still looking energetic and fresh. I was feeling drowsy and weak; without breakfast and launch. He said the GDs of other groups are also over and Vibha and Priyanka are coming out with their judgments. We will have a little discussion in the Dean’s room and then we will declare the results. Better you go for Lunch and come back by 3 PM. The results will be announced in the same hall; where we had our earlier discussion this morning.
He started moving towards the Dean’s room; most of us followed him. I saw Vibha coming… she looked completely pissed off, tired and weak. She was trying hard to make her way to the Dean’s room out of the student crowd. She was looking at no one… I said Good Afternoon madam! She looked at me… gave a dead smile and wished back, and rushed inside.

I went to the canteen with my friends. Everyone started asking and sharing their GD experience, topics and girls from other institutes.
No meals... yelled the person seating at the cash counter.
What else you have? We are really hungry. Give what ever you have. Be quick.
Crap... they don't have a fan out here... the heat is unbearable and this Navy blue Blazer... I took it off.
Food was served.
Hey guys, its 2.55... lets go... Sabya said. We moved to the cash counter.
We have to rush to the conference hall... someone said.
Run guys... I shouted and started running.


Read "Part - 3"
http://ansumanjena.blogspot.com/2011/11/job-interview-part-3.html

Comments

Popular Posts